Thursday, May 10, 2018

Rules don't apply

Yesterday, at around 6 pm, I was going grocery shopping with my family. We were exiting WAPDA Town, Lahore when a Suzuki Moron (read Mehran) approached in the fast lane, on the wrong side of the road. The road had two lanes, I was in the fast lane, but I couldn't immediately switch lanes because there were cars approaching from behind us in the left lane. I waited patiently. Meanwhile, the old man driving the Suzuki Moron on the wrong side started angrily waving his arm out of the window to let him pass.
When traffic allowed, I switched to the left lane and pulled up next to his car. I pointed out that he was on the wrong side of the road, to which he replied that the house on my left was his house and that's where he was going. I pointed out that he had to drive on the correct side of the road, make a U-turn and then reach his home. He gave a great reply to that. He said, "this is WAPDA Town, these rules don't apply here." We had a hearty laugh.
In fact, rules don't apply anywhere in Pakistan. I have seen loaded trucks driving up the exit ramp onto Lahore Ring Road, amongst many amusing displays of complete disrespect for the law and safety. When we believe that rules don't apply to us, what justification do we have to expect, for instance, politicians to be fair and non-corrupt? 

No comments: