Wednesday, October 05, 2005

May I help you?

One evening back in summer of 2001, I was coming back from my TA office at Wichita State University going to the mosque well in time for Maghrib prayers. On my way, I saw a young lady trying to post a poster onto a pillar. She was struggling with the size of the poster, the wind, and trying to paste the tape at the same time as cutting it. Not humanly possible. I stopped by and held the poster for her and she was easily able to accomplish her task. She might've been scared with my eastern looks and the post 9/11 era, but I did what I did.
Today, I was coming out of the Pepsi Dining Center when I saw another young lady, trying to post a poster at a notice board or bulletin board of sorts. She was struggling just like the lady I mentioned earlier. I walked up and held the poster for her to find any pushpings from the board and put the poster in place. In the end, she couldnt find sufficient number of thumb pins to hold it in place. I recalled that I had just bought a stapler which was in my bag. I offered that to her and I stapled the poster in place for her. After that, I walked away, neither of us, said anything. I guess I did my scout's good deed of the day. If I had a scout's scarf, I would've put a reaf knot on it.
Deja vu.

2 comments:

Whiz Kid said...

"An act of goodness is of itself an act of happiness. No reward coming after the event can compare with the sweet reward that went with it." -- Maurice Maeterlinck

... and we both understand the taste of that reward!

Muhammad Saqib Ilyas said...

addicted to it, too.